Post on : June 21, 2022
Downtown Pedestrian Mall: Transportation and Parking
The Downtown Pedestrian Mall opens on Thu. June 30, from noon to 10 p.m. daily, until September 5. The event footprint is on Water Street from Adelaide Street to Prescott Street, and George Street from Adelaide Street to Water Street. Please note traffic impacts:
- Sections of Water Street and George Street will be closed to traffic and parking inside the mall footprint, during event hours.
- Outside of designated mall hours, traffic will be one-way on Water Street (from west to east) for deliveries and commercial access only.
- Ayre’s Cove is closed at Harbour Drive, with local access for approved couriers.
- Traffic on McBride’s Hill will be closed to southbound traffic, with one-way northbound.
- Motorists will have two-way access to Clift’s-Baird’s Cove for accessible parking, deliveries, and curbside pickup.
- Southbound traffic on Prescott Street will be detoured to Harbour Drive via Job’s Cove.
- Beck’s Cove will be closed except to provide two-way access to the Murray Premises Hotel, and to allow delivery and curbside pickup spaces from Harbour Drive.
On-street parking spaces are located throughout the downtown. Several parking spaces are serviced by Pay Stations and PayByPhone; motorists must look for signage when parking to ensure they are abiding by all parking regulations. Paid parking on city streets is not required during the weekends, statutory holidays, or after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
Private parking garages are open 24/7 at 351 Water Street and 330 Duckworth Street. Other private parking garages include ALT Hotel (125 Water Street), Sonco Parking Garage (1 Clift’s Baird’s Cove), and the Bowring Centre (entrance on Harbour Drive). Please note, parking restrictions in private parking lots differ from City restrictions.
Parking for 140 vehicles is available at the City Hall Parking Garage (10 New Gower Street) weekdays after 6 p.m. and all-day during weekends on levels one, three and four.
Free parking is available after 5 p.m. weekdays and all-day during weekends at three parking lots near Duckworth Street:
- Corner of Holloway and Duckworth (across from Haymarket Square) – 21 spaces
- Corner of Prescott and Duckworth (Across from TD Building) – 31 spaces
- 18 Prescott Street (behind Blue Drop building) – 60 spaces
Approximately 20 accessible on street parking spaces and 36 accessible parking spaces within private parking garages are available in the mall area.
Accessible parking will be marked in several designated areas including on Clift’s-Baird’s Cove, Water Street near St. John’s Lane, Water Street near Adelaide Street, corner of George Street and Adelaide Street.
Private parking garages also have accessible parking; six spaces at Alt Hotel, 12 spaces at MetroPark on Duckworth and 18 spaces at 351 Water Street (entrance on Harbour Drive). It is important to note the parking restrictions in private garages may differ from City restrictions.
Metrobus and GoBus
Metrobus routes 3, 10 and 11 can bring you to the downtown area. To plan your trip in advance, visit the Metrobus website. Route 3 offers an accessible low floor bus which stops at Aryes Cove/Harbour Drive near the mall.
GoBus Stops are located near the middle, and at both ends of the mall. GoBus customers may reserve their ride by contacting GoBus directly.
Business Access and Deliveries
Allowances will be made for deliveries until noon each day inside the Downtown Pedestrian Mall. After 12 p.m. delivery vehicles and curbside pick-up will have designated parking in the coves between Water Street and Harbour Drive.
Bicycle Racks and Cycling
Bicycle racks will be installed in various areas in the Downtown Pedestrian Mall. Cyclists are welcome at the Pedestrian Mall. It is critical to the safety of the public that you ride slowly and respectfully, always giving pedestrians the right of way. Please walk your bicycle through the mall if necessary. Metrobus is equipped with bicycle racks on all routes, giving cyclists the option of taking the bus as a part of your commute.
View map of transportation and parking impacts.